MECS and Scotland
- Minor eye conditions service pathways (MECS) have been introduced throughout many health authority regions. The LOCSU website shows where they exist.
- Patients’ awareness of such schemes is important so that care for minor conditions can be made more effective.
- There are 14 health boards in Scotland. Community optometry may manage a wide range of conditions and refer as appropriate in cases of acute eye disease.
- Optometrists have been trained in liaison with local hospitals and via National Eyecare Scotland.
- A web-based system has been rolled out to ensure eligibility for, and provision of, appropriate payment (from the NHS) for optometric services provided.